Saturday, March 15, 2008

Welcome to Kosovo!

We left on Friday at 2:30. Our plane took off from Lincoln (to Detroit) at 5 PM. We got to Detroit around 8-something. We took off around 9 AM and arrived in London around 9 AM. That flight was so long, definitely the longest I've ever had. We arrived in Kosovo and had two guys from KIJAC (our partner school) pick us up. They were very nice, but didn't speak much english. Karen, Kate, Scott, Bruce and I piled into one car. Karen had to sit on my lap. Over here, I guess the driving rules or laws are... optional? I don't know, but it was an interesting ride. We had dinner at a place called Pish-something. We had a HUGE course of cheese and different breads, and after that we were completely full. THEN they brought out the main course of steak, pork, and sausage. It was amazingly delicious. The steak was phenomenal! 
After we'd arrived, I found that the money I had left in my checked bag had been stolen. I'm not sure if it was taken in Lincoln, Detroit, London, or Kosovo, but I know for sure that all the euros I had, I don't have anymore. 
That really upset me, not because I don't have the money, but because I was so stupid to put an envelope of cash in an unattended bag... I know better than to do that. I don't know what I was thinking. Then it upset me because people shouldn't do that. I'm just idyllic, I guess. 
Anyway, the beginning of the trip has had its ups and downs. I've been taking photos which I will probably upload and post tomorrow.
I have not felt threatened or in any sense of danger since I've been here. The only weird thing is that while we were eating dinner, people kept coming in and trying to have us buy little trinkets.
Hope all is well in the US! Until we meet again...

1 comment:

Jerry Renaud said...

Lindsey,

What a bummer about the money. I hope things start to get better. I've been to that resturant lots of times and it is great. Just hearing your description made me hungry for the fried cheese and lamb. You just can't find that here in good old Lincoln NE. I'll look forward to your photos.

Jerry Renaud